When it comes to how long you should wait between each examination or control at the dentist, this is quite individual. It’s generally recommended that people with healthy teeth go to a checkup every two years or so. And by healthy teeth, I mean that they are fresh, that the inside of the mouth is fresh, and that the teeth are in natural alignment.
Despite this general rule, how often you should visit the dentist varies from person to person, according to a set of different factors. (And no, being a business owner is not one of them – these factors apply to all humans!)
I spoke to some of the leading dental clinics from different countries, and these are their recommendations:
Factors to Consider
There are several factors you should consider when answering the question of how often you should get a dental checkup:
- Illnesses: Do you often feel sick? It’s actually possible that this is caused by poor dental health.
- Toothbrushing habits: Are you brushing your teeth regularly enough, and gently enough?
- Diet: How high is your intake of sugary drinks or energy drinks (considered by many to be the number one enemy of healthy teeth).
- Use of medicines: Some medicines can harm the teeth.
- Lifestyle: You probably need to see the dentist more often if you do competitive skateboarding than if you knit during your spare time.
Your Dentist Will Often Tell You
You may have been to a dentist who recommends that you wait no longer than a few months before coming back. Or you might have been to someone who told you that you can wait a few years before your next visit?
According to a local dental clinic I interviewed in Ålesund, Norway, you usually don’t have to think about how often you should go to the dentist yourself. My interviewee from Tannlege Ålesund told me that their dentists, and probably your dentist, will often tell you how long you should wait between each control.
Don’t Wait Too Long
If you wait too long between your dental checkups, you might be so unfortunate as to develop illnesses. These can fester for quite some time before you actually discover that they are there, something that might lead to more expensive treatments down the line.
Therefore, you should make sure that too much time doesn’t pass between your visits to the dentist. This will save you time and money over the long haul.
Published August 21st, 2021
Discussion about this post